Printer-Friendly (PDF) Version of this Tour
Two blocks west of the downtown shopping district is
the Colorado School of Mines. The CSM campus is a
pleasant place for a stroll, with 100-year-old trees
and equally old buildings abounding.
|1 Geology Museum - 1301 Maple Street
Though this building was completed in
2003, the school began this museum in 1874,
with “a cabinet of minerals…that shall fully
represent the rich and varied mines of our
The collection has grown over time into one
of the finest geology museums in the world.
The collection officially became a museum in
1940. Berthoud Hall opened that year and
space was designed specifically to serve as
a museum. The museum remained in Berthoud
Hall for more than sixty years, until a new
and larger space was built as part of the
new Hall of Research in 2003.
|2 Steinhauer Field House
This structure was completed in 1937. It
includes a running track and is used for
various indoor sports practices. It was
named for Frederick Steinhauer who graduated
from Mines in 1899 and served on the Board
of Trustees for twenty years.
|3 Volk Gymnasium
This building, completed in 1960, was
named for Russell Volk, class of 1926 with a
Masters in 1931. Volk was considered one of
the foremost athletes of his generation. He
went on to a career in the petroleum
industry and served on the School’s board of
trustees, as President of the Alumni
Association, and on the board of the
Colorado School of Mines Foundation. This
building is home to the Physical Education
and Athletics Departments.
|4 Leather Helmets and Broken Noses
While leading Mines’ 1939 football team
to an undefeated season, Lloyd W. Madden
also led the nation in scoring and was named
a 1st Team All-American. Additionally, he
was an outstanding track athlete, later, a
professional football player. Donated by
Stewart Chuber, geological engineer,
Colorado School of Mines Class of 1952. The
piece is dedicated to Lloyd W. Madden,
geological engineer and one of Mines’ finest
athletes, Colorado School of Mines Class of
1941. The sculpture, created by artist Bob
Coffee, is placed outside Volk Gymnasium on
|5 Student Residence Halls
For many years the School of Mines did
not offer housing. Students generally lived
in fraternities or in private homes. An
influx of students after World War II
created a housing crisis. The first
permanent residence hall, Bradford Hall, was
completed in 1954. Randall Hall joined it in
1957. Morgan and Thomas Halls were added in
|6 Granite Lines
In the courtyard of the Ben Parker Student
Center are Sculptural Benches, created in
granite by Richard Hansen, in 1997. The
benches are a result of the Art in Public
Places Program, administered by the Colorado
Council on the Arts.
|7 Student Center/Dining Hall
Completed in 1964. The Ben Parker Student
Center was named after a past President,
alumnus, and member of the board of
trustees. Dr. Parker received his Master’s
degree in 1932 and his PhD. in 1934. A
Petroleum Geologist, Dr. Parker joined the
Geology faculty in 1933 and served as the
School’s president from 1945-1950. The
Student Center houses the Registrar, the
Admissions & Financial Aid offices, and the
|8 Denver Miner
The sculpture, created by Ray Kling, can
be seen in the entryway of the Ben Parker
Student Center. It was purchased in 1996
from the Central Bank and Trust Company.
|9 Berthoud Hall
Completed in 1940, funded by the Works
Progress Administration. Edward Berthoud was
instrumental in founding both the School of
Mines and Golden itself. He served on the
Board of Trustees in the School’s early
years. Berthoud was active in railroad
construction in Colorado and was the Chief
Engineer of the Colorado Railroad Company.
The Geology and Geological Engineering
Departments are based in Berthoud Hall.
|10 Student Recreation Center
Opened in 2007, the recreation center
features a fitness lab, a climbing wall,
running track, basketball and volleyball
courts, swimming pool, a studio for yoga and
aerobics, a juice bar, and many other
amenities. 303-273-3513. recsports.mines.edu/recreation-center
|11 The Greeting
The sculpture depicting a North Plains
Indian elder by artist George Carlson is
located between the Ben H. Parker Student
Center and the Student Recreation Center.
The artwork illustrates a gesture of
universal greeting representing different
cultures coming together in the hope of
mutual understanding — a goal of the Mines
community. John Lockridge, a 1952 Mines
alumnus, and his wife Erika, donated the
work in 2007.
|12 Brown Hall
Completed in 1980. This building was
named for George R. Brown, class of 1922.
Brown founded Brown & Root, one of the
world’s largest construction companies, and
was a generous supporter of the School.
Brown Hall is home to Civil, Electrical,
Mechanical, Mining, and undergraduate
|13 National Earthquake Information
This building, although situated in the
middle of the campus, is not part of the
School of Mines. It belongs to the U.S.
Geological Survey and is dedicated to
tracking and studying earthquakes around the
world. Public tours are free, but offered
only on Mondays and Tuesdays and only by
appointment. Call 303-273-8420 to schedule a
|14 Gordian Knot
The complex tangle of stainless steel is
approximately eight feet in diameter and was
fabricated from more than 300 feet of pipe.
Like the original Gordian Knot, it is
without a beginning or end. The sculpture
was commissioned by the state Art in Public
Places Program and installed in 2008.
|15 Center for Technology and Learning
This building opened in 2003 and
provides a home for academic computing and
networking, Studio Physics, and the
Multidisciplinary Engineering Laboratories.
|16 Alderson Hall
This building, completed in 1954, houses
the Petroleum and Chemical Engineering
Departments. It is named in honor of Victor
Alderson, who became President of the School
in 1903 and served a total of eighteen years
in that position.
|17 Four Story Stained Glass Window
Made of full antique, mouth-blown glass
that was custom-ordered from all over the
world, the four-story stained glass window
in Alderson Hall’s entryway illustrates the
concept of “flow,” and reflects the
departments housed in this building:
Petroleum Engineering and Chemical
Engineering. The artist was Barbara Saul.
|18 Meyer Hall
Completed in 1963. This building was
named for Dr. Paul Meyer, who came to the
School of Mines in 1883. In addition to
teaching mathematics, he was also a
practicing physician in the Golden
community. The Physics Department is housed
in this building.
|19 The Green Center
Completed in 1992, the Green Center is
named for Cecil Green, the founder of Texas
Instruments, and his wife Ida. This building
houses the Geophysics Department as well as
two large lecture halls, a reception hall,
and a 1,300 seat theater.
|20 Of the Earth and Man
The sculpture by John T. Young, located
in Kafadar Commons at the center of campus,
represents the three stages of technology:
Stone Age, Classical and Modern. It was
commissioned in 1989 by the state Art in
Public Places Program.
|21 Engineering Hall
Completed in 1894, the Hall of
Engineering is the oldest remaining building
on the campus. Originally the Physics
building, and long-time home of the
Mathematics department, it now houses the
Department of Economics and Business.
|22 Hill Hall
Completed in 1958, this building is home
to Materials Science, Metallurgical and
Materials Engineering. It is named after
Nathaniel Hill, an early trustee of the
school, who developed an effective process
for smelting precious metals from complex
sulfide ores. This process revived the
gold-mining industry in the Central City
region, which had been waning after the
surface gold had been largely removed.
|23 Stratton Hill
Completed in 1904, this building was
named for W.S. Stratton. Stratton discovered
the Independence Mine near Cripple Creek
Colorado, which started the Cripple Creek
gold rush. He also served as a Trustee to
the School of Mines. Stratton Hall is now
home to Liberal Arts and International
|24 Chauvenet Hall
Regis Chauvenet became President of the
School of Mines in 1893 and served until
1902. This building is home to Mathematical
& Computer Sciences. It was originally two
separate buildings: the Assay Lab (built in
1900) and the Heating Plant (built in 1904).
They were joined in 1937.
|25 A Friend to Lean On
The bronze burro statue beside
Guggenheim Hall, was presented to Colorado
School of Mines in 1995 by the Adolph Coors
Foundation. It was created by artist Robin
|26 Alumni Time Capsule
Located in front of Berthoud Hall is a
time capsule dedicated to Mines alumni in
celebration of the Alumni Association’s
100th anniversary — 1895 to 1995. The time
capsule will be opened in 2045.
|27 Guggenheim Hall
Completed in 1906, the building was
constructed with a generous gift from
Colorado’s U.S. Senator Simon Guggenheim.
The President’s office and other
Administrative offices reside here.
|28 Arthur Lakes Library
The Library was completed in 1955. It is
named in honor of Arthur Lakes, who provided
many of the early surveys of Colorado’s
mineral deposits. He taught geology at the
school, served as head of the Geology
Department, and was the first curator of the
School’s geology specimen collection.
|29 Coolbaugh Hall
Completed in 1952, this building is home
to the Chemistry, Geochemistry, and
Environmental Science & Engineering
Departments. Melvin Coolbaugh came to Mines
as a Chemistry Professor before World War I.
After serving in the War, he worked in
industry for several years until being asked
to assume the Presidency in 1925. He served
in that role for 21 years.
|30 The “M”
Designed by Professor Joseph O’Byrne in
1908, the “M” on Mount Zion can be seen for
many miles. The electric lights were added
in 1932. In 2008, the incandescent light
bulbs were replaced with energy-efficient
Dr. John U. Trefney, President Emeritus, Colorado
School of Mines
Dr. Wilton E. Eckley, Professor Emeritus, Colorado
School of Mines, and author of Rocky Mountains to
the Moon, a History of the Colorado School of Mines
Eckley, Wilton. Rocky Mountains to the World – A
History of the Colorado School of Mines.
Virginia Beach, VA: The Donning Company Publishers,
Retrieved March 21, 2011 from Colorado School of
Mines website: www.mines.edu/campusartwork.